Friday, December 14, 2012

Studio 39

I mentioned in the last post that I had gotten a studio space in the late summer. Since then I have been busy painting the floor, building shelves and painting old furniture to set up the space for sewing, natural dyeing, weaving (winter goal!) and painting.  The building I am in, Screwball Spaces, has almost 100 resident artists and 80 studio spaces and a gallery. So far I have really enjoyed the community it has provided. Last week the building held a holiday sale and a group show in our gallery so I opened my studio and had a studio warming party.










The turnout was great and it was so nice to share what I had been up to all of these months. Along with working on the space, I have been experimenting with working on designing a pattern for a cloth doll. I have been really interested in heirloom toys and the idea of creating something special that can be passed down through generations. After months of tweaking and experimenting I finished my first prototype. She is made of natural linen, stuffed with Lancaster wool and hand embroidered with linen and silk thread. Her hair is made of wool and her clothes are a combination of new Japanese cotton, antique buttons, an old wool sweater and antique lace. Her arms and legs are button jointed using wooden buttons from this great website based out of Vermont, Compostable Goods .  They sell some natural yarns and notions as well as eco-friendly household products, toys and even bio-compostable golf tees! :-) I stained the buttons with black walnut and attached them using a strong upholstery thread. I have already started my next one and am looking forward to really diving into it after the holidays.

Do any of you have a special toy that has been passed down through your family?









No comments: